National Glass Centre
Liberty Way Sunderland, SR6 0GL
National Center of glass located near the St Peter's Church, which was part of the monastery, built in 674. It is here abbot brought French masters of the glass industry, employed for arranging the windows of the monastery. And the glass industry is beginning to develop in the eighteenth century, owing to the abundance of cheap coal and high-quality sand. Sunderland has become known throughout the country as the center of the glass industry.
National Glass Centre was opened in 1998 and is built of glass and steel. The roof of the center - glass and designed so that people can walk on it and look down at the premises of the Center of glass. When assembling the roof used a total of 3250 sq. meters of glass and it can accommodate 4600 people at once. Each glass panel on the roof has a thickness of 6 cm.
In the center located museum, dedicated to the history of glass production, numerous exhibitions and galleries. Some works may be purchased by visitors in the glass shop. Since August 2006 the National Glass Centre can be visited free of charge.
Nationaal Glasmuseum (Nitherlands)
Leerdam Kerkstraat 184141 AW Leerdam
Expositions of the museum may not be as extensive as the exhibition of world famous museums of glass, but no less interesting, because it shows the development of the production of glass products in the Netherlands since 1880. Glass production in Leerdam takes its beginning in 1915 and was one of the first glass factories in the Netherlands. Now this factory is named after the Royal and foundation collections of the museum are samples of its products.
Red House Glass Cone (UK)
High Street Wordsley Stourbridge West Midlands DY8 4AZ
Red Cone is in the heart of the Glass Quarter in Stourbridge. Plot of land on which stands a cone, was sold by its owners, Richard Bradley, a rich glass manufacturer, summer 1788. Bradley built this building in the late XVIII century for its production of window glass. According to its industrial purpose red cones was used until 1936. This cone - one of four similar buildings remaining in the United Kingdom. The cone is 27 meters in height and 18 meters in diameter. The museum has organized trips to glasswork, during which visitors descend into the underground passageways and tunnels in the heart of Cone located the gallery and exhibitions of the museum, are tells the story of glass manufacturing in the region and the history of this unique glass products.
Glasmuseet Ebeltoft (Denmark)
Strandvejen 8 8400 Ebeltoft
Glass Museum was established in 1985 and is located in the former home of the Customs and Excise Department in the old fishermen town of Ebeltoft. In 2006, the premises of the museum were slightly increased due to additions to the building of a new extention. The museum was founded by the Danish designer Finn Linggeardom, who along with his wife lives and operates his studio in the same town. This is - a private, self-financing institution under the patronage of Her Majesty the Queen.
The fact that the inauguration of the Queen came in the day, when the museum celebrated its 20 anniversary. In this regard, Her Majesty Queen Margaret II promised to take the museum under its patronage. Museum visits approximately 50 000 people a year. The museum collection is composed with support of more than 600 world-renowned artists working with glass, which gave the museum their work (more than 1500 exhibits). Thus, the museum focuses to show the work of contemporary artists and new trends in art.
Museum of Glass (USA)
1801 Dock St. Tacoma, WA 98402
The idea of this museum establishing came in 1992 and in July 2002, the Museum of Glass, the brainchild of Dr. Philip H. Fibbs, was opened. It is located near the University of Washington, in Tacoma downtown. The museum is connected to the city center by the glass bridge. The bridge performed from thousands masterpieces of art glass, created by artist Dale Chihuly. The very same building of the museum made as a cone of stainless steel. The museum collection keeps works of the Pacific region artists.
The museum has an art studio, which is available for visitors of all ages. In addition, you can watch films about artists working with glass, the museum also has a shop.
Stained Glass Museum (UK)
The South Triforium Ely CathedralEly, Cambridgeshire
Glasmuseum Passau (Germany)
Am Rathausplatz D-94032 Passau
Glass Museum in Passau owns the world's largest collection of Bohemian glass. This museum is located in the historic complex of buildings "Wilder Mann" in the old town of Passau. The collection includes more than 30,000 artifacts and gives a scope about the development of Bohemian glass since 1700 up to 1950 year. The exposition presents various styles and periods: Baroque, Rococo, Art Nouveau, Art Deco. The most significant part of the collection – are samples that dated from the XIX century and later, the age of greatest prosperity of Bohemian glass.
Södra Järnvägsgatan 2 Box 102 351 04 Växjö
This is one of the oldest museums in Sweden, which began to emerge the collection since 1792. To visit the museum, located in Vekshe, you can get on an old boat, built in 1887. Pier is located on the shore of Lake Helgasshen, near the ruins of the castle Cronenberg. In 1996, following the expansion and reconstruction of the museum was reopened, and his collection of glass is the basis of the international reputation of the museum.
In addition to the collection of glass, the museum funds include the objects of cultural historical significance, visual arts, textiles, church environment, archaeological and agricultural history. There is a separate numismatic (Swedish) collection. Permanent exhibitions focus on two themes: the development of agricultural production and 500-year history of Swedish glass.
The Baccarat Crystal Museum (France)
Rue des Cristalleries - 54120 Baccarat
Glass production in the village of Baccarat has been developed since 1764, when the King of France, Louis XV allow the Duc de Montmorency deploy glass production in eastern France. Already in 1855, Baccarat products won a gold medal at the World Exhibition in Paris and became known throughout the world. Even the Russian Tsar Nicholas II, ordered a chandelier for the Winter Palace in St.-Petersburg.
For more than 200 years, products of Baccarat decorated palaces and presidential and royal residences (such as the Emperor of Japan and the Prince of Wales), cathedrals and theaters. Baccarat Museum is housed in a mansion, previously owned by Marie-Laure de Noell, interior designed by the famous Philippe Starkk. The museum contains a lot of work now performed by Baccarat for the world's fairs and universal exhibitions of the 1800's, as well as on the order of famous people. In the four halls of the museum exhibited more than 500 remarkable examples of glass, including dishes, vases and goblets.
Musée du Verre (Belgium)
Rue de Montigny, 101 B-6000 Charleroi
This museum is located in one of most famous Europe's centers of glass - the Belgian city of Charleroi. This glass manufacture Center has been known since 1669, when Jean de Conde established there glass workshops. For three centuries in this region appeared more than a hundred enterprises for the production of glass products. Mainly produces mirror glass and bottle, using a cylindrical blown glass. For example, in the XIX c. volume of produced mirror glass is comparable to the volumes of production of glass in all North American states. Raymond Chambon, who has studied the history of glass production, assembled a remarkable collection of glass, which served as the basis for the exposition of the museum.
In addition to the museum of glass in Charleroi, in Belgium there is a museum of glass in Liege. His collection is dedicated to the history of glass, is one of the most comprehensive in the world. It contains exhibits from many countries from ancient times until the XIX century, beginning with the Egyptian and Byzantine glass, Islamic and Venetian glass (XV and XVI century). Also in the Liège Museum presents glass products, indicating the main production centers in Europe XVII-XIX century, and Belgian glass products of XIX-XX centuries.
Niijima Glass Art Center (Japan)
This museum was created for the permanent exhibition of objects made of glass, created in workshops and master classes with the festival of art glass in Niizime. This festival is held annually since 1988. The museum was opened on Sept. 1, 1997, and its small exhibition consists mainly of works of American artists and the works of those artists who participated in the festival.
Canadian Clay and Glass Gallery (Canada)
25 Caroline Street North, Waterloo, ON N2L 2Y5
c/o Galerie Max Seidenfaden, Pile Alle 55, 2000 Frederiksberg
This museum is located in Copenhagen, and its name translates as " tank ", that is pure truth. The fact that the cisterns were originally part of the urban water supply and serve as reservoirs of such a kind of grotto, which had to create the pressure necessary to ensure that the water could reach the upper floors of buildings in the city.
They were built in the years 1856-1859, and served on the appointment until 1981. For some time they were used for concerts, exhibitions and events, before becoming in 1996 a permanent museum of modern glass. Entrance to the museum marked by two glass pyramids, and themselves of the museum areas located underground.
In February 2009, Forbes ranked Cisternerne to one of the most unique exhibition spaces in Europe. The museum exibits mainly works by contemporary Danish artists.
Corning Museum of Glass (USA)
One Museum Way Corning, NY 14830
This museum is one of the most famous museums of glass in the world. Founded in 1950 by Corning Glass Works (now Corning Incorporated), the museum has never been a showcase for the company or its products, but rather exists as a non-profit institution that preserves the knowledge in the production of glass products. In 1951, when the museum was officially opened to the public, he was not very significant collection of glass: it was 2 000 exhibits, two staff members and library have books and papers on the production of glass products.
Today, the museum owns one of the world's finest collections of art and historical glass. More than 45 000 exhibits trace the 3 500-year history of glass production. The museum exhibits a collection of the Middle East, Asian, European and American glass. You can see here very interesting things, such as glass Mechanical Theater (France, XVIII cent.), operated by 14 levers, and shows the biblical story of the wedding at Cana in Galilee.
Glassware and Ceramic Museum of Iran (Iran)
No 75, 30 Tir St., jomhoori Ave.Tehran, Iran
The building, which was converted into a museum, was built about 90 years ago at the request of Ahmad Kawam (Qavam-ol-Saltaneh) as the residence of his staff and the working office. The building was used by Kawam until the year 1953, and later was sold and used within 7 years as the embassy of Egypt. When the Egyptian embassy in Iran was closed, the building is bought Commercial Bank, and since 1976 it is Iranian Museum of Glass and Ceramics. The architectural style of the building - a combination of the traditional Iranian style and European architecture of the 19th century.
The collection of glass and ceramics of this museum is one of the most valuable and rare collections in Iran. It includes pottery, from the 4th millennium BC far, as well as glass from the 1st millennium BC to present day. In addition, part of the exhibit is a collection of European glass XVIII-XIX centuries. Exposition of the museum is located six rooms and two hallways in separate sections, devoted to different historical periods and subjects.
Glasmuseum Frauenau (Germany)
Am Museumspark 1
Museo Vetrario di Murano (Italy)
Fond. Giustiniano, 8 , Murano, Venice, Italy
Murano reputation as a center of glass-blowing industry emerged at a time when the Venetian Republic, fearing fire and destruction of the city, which mainly consisted of wooden buildings, ordered the destruction of all glass-blowing factories within the city in 1291. Management of the Republic ordered to build these plants outside the city, and by the end of the 13th century, the center of Venetian glass production became Murano.
Murano Glass Museum was founded in 1861 and is located in an old palace of the bishops Torcello. One of the initiators of the museum and was mayor Vincenzo Zanetti, who a year later, in 1862 established a school near the museum of glass blowers, to the ancient tradition of Murano glass can be transmitted from generation to generation.
The museum has a wide collection of Venetian glass from XV to XX century, and in addition there is the archaeological section of the exhibition, which contains the findings from the III century.